Saturday, September 16, 2023

Well, our Camino is coming to an unexpected end...

We both thought that I would be the wildcard as to whether or not we would be able to complete our Camino this time - this summer was filled with medical situations and complications for me, all while Patrick did some training and tried to eat a healthy diet. Sadly, it's not me... 
After the unexpected and extreme difficulty Patrick experienced coming down the mountain on Tuesday evening (scary doesn't even begin to describe it), and then resting for a couple of days in Pamplona, last night (Friday) he was awake all night with fever, chills, body aches and nausea. This morning, we were both convinced it was Covid! However, as soon as they opened at 9:30 this morning, I went to the Farmacia down the street from our hotel and got some Covid tests. He tested negative this morning. He still feels absolutely wretched so, we have made the inconceivably difficult decision that we cannot continue on the Camino.
We have extended our stay one more day at the lovely Hotel Maisonnave. Unfortunately, that is all they could give us as they are fully booked on Monday. We will take the train on Monday to Madrid where we will wait for our duffle bag that was sent to Santiago to be returned to us on Thursday or Friday, and then, hopefully, Patrick will feel well enough to endure 25-30 hours of travel and we will make our way back home.














This Camino wasn't meant to be for us this year but, we are sure there will be others! Thank you for all the love and support! We appreciate it so much! Please send all your good healing vibes to Patrick!

Buen Camino!



15 comments:

  1. Glad you opted for safety rather than stubbornly sticking to a potentially dangerous plan. Hope Patrick gets well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! Im continuing to pray for you both! Looking forward to our conversation upon your return.

      Delete
    2. So sorry my friends. So smart of to prioritize your health. I hope you have an uneventful trip home.♥️

      Delete
  2. Lori, Patrick: I'm so sorry your journey didn't unfold as you expected but am glad you're both safe and wise enough to know when the situation warrants a change of plans. Spain's loss is our gain having you back safe and sound and as you said, once the disappointment fades you can always plan on tackling it again in the future. Take care and we'll see you back here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get well soon Patrick! Beautiful scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. I Am so sorry. That is one disappointing experience. But, coming home, getting healthy and having great friends and family will hopefully soothe the soul. I certainly hope Patrick is feeling better. I’ve personally never been 20 to 30 hours from home. You are very brave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry the trip didn’t go as planned. Prayers for your safe return!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I’m so sorry this Camino did not go as you both had planned. Much love. Ultreia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry your trip is cut short. Sending all the love and prayers!!😘🙏🏻❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, I'm sure this is a disappointment but health and safety are trump cards. Patrick I hope you heal quickly. As they say, there are always opportunities juat around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no. I'm so very very sorry to hear this news. I'm sure "disappointment" doesn't even begin to cover it. I really feel for you both. Health and safety comes first always, so I hope you will be able to comfortably make the trip home and let the physical, and emotional healing begin. We love you both very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very sorry. Sending all the best vibes to Patrick for a speedy recovery. Safe travels home. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are so sorry it didn't work out but I was afraid for you too after reading the issues Pat was having. I hope he will continue to feel better each day.. our prayers are with you guys for safe trip home. 💓

    ReplyDelete